The Aviation Cocktail is a classic gin cocktail that is beautiful in both appearance and flavor. Featuring Crème de Violette, both the bright violet hue and floral taste are stunning! The combination of gin, lemon juice, violets, and cherry is unique and delightful.
One of the cocktail’s main ingredients, Crème de Violette, disappeared from the market in the 1960s for over 40 years. After reappearing in the early 2000s, the cocktail made its way back onto cocktail menus and into homes across the United States. While Crème de Violette can be difficult to find, it creates a lovely cocktail if you can get your hands on some!
Aviation Cocktail Recipe
To make one Aviation Cocktail, you will need to following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 ounces of good quality Gin
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce Maraschino Luxardo – a cherry flavored liqueur
- 1/2 ounce Crème de Violette – a specialty liqueur made with violets
How to Make an Aviation Cocktail
Simply fill a cocktail shaker with ice and pour the gin, liqueurs, and lemon juice into the shaker. Shake well until ingredients are well combined and chilled. Strain into a glass and garnish with a cherry. Enjoy!
How to Serve
Serve your Aviation Cocktail in a chilled coupe glass or martini glass. Garnish with either a cherry or lemon twist
Other Classic Cocktails
- 1 1/2 ounce Gin
- 1/2 ounce Lemon Juice
- 1/2 ounce Maraschino luxardo
- 1/2 ounce Crème de Violette
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Pour all ingredients into shaker.
- Shake well.
- Pour into a glass, garnish and enjoy.