Like a Black Russian with some added “fizz” factor, the Mind Eraser cocktail combines equal parts vodka, coffee liqueur, and soda water. The tasty and popular cocktail packs a caffeine + boozy punch that will make it hard to have just one!
As the name implies, a few of these potent drinks will make your worries of the day disappear. But don’t worry, its delicious flavor is an indulgence all its own. It is built as a beautifully layered drink and is safe to say this 1980’s cocktail is here to stay.
What Is In a Mind Eraser Drink
A Mind Eraser drink has three simple ingredients:
- Coffee Liqueur (such as Kahlua)
- Soda Water
Since the flavors of the liquors in the cocktail really stand out, we recommend using good quality ingredients, especially a good vodka.
How to Make a Mind Eraser Cocktail
With equal portions of all three ingredients, it won’t take much thought to mix these up, even after you enjoy one or two yourself. The trick is in how you add the ingredients to the glass, producing the layered effect!
- Fill a short tumbler or rocks glass with ice. Then add the coffee liqueur.
- Slowly pour the vodka over the back of a spoon into the glass (this helps keep the drink layered)
- Top with club soda also poured over a spoon to finish layered effect
- Stir if desired and enjoy!
How to Serve
One of the key parts of constructing this drink is making the ingredients layered. The simple trick of pouring each ingredient over the back of a spoon will achieve keeping the ingredients separate. While typically built as a layered drink, some prefer to shake or stir the combined ingredients. Sip through a straw to enjoy each element or stir to enjoy the combination.
Other Coffee Drinks
- 2 oz coffee liquor
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 oz club soda
- Pour coffee liquor into a glass filled with ice.
- Then pour vodka into the glass using a spoon to prevent layers mixing.
- Then pour the club soda using a spoon to finish off the layered effect.
Jeanne pratt says
What vodka do you recommend for this drink? Lot’s of really good vodkas but they all have a SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT taste.
Nathan Longley says
We like Tito’s or Grey Goose, for most drinks we have, even Costco’s Vodka. For something like this I would use one of the first two.