I love to try new margarita flavors and although I try not to have favorites, this Blood Orange Margarita may be at the top of the list. This twist on the classic margarita features juice from a blood-red citrus fruit whose flavor and color make it a show stopper!
Typically when you see “blood” with a drink, your mind goes to a bloody mary which features tomato juice. Not the case here! The tartness of the blood orange pairs perfectly with tequila and sweet and sour mix to create an invigorating cocktail that you’ll crave all year round.
Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
If you’ve got the standard margarita making essentials on hand, the only additional thing you’ll need is some juice from two blood oranges. You’ll need about two ounces each of tequila, sweet and sour mix, and blood orange juice. Add them to a glass filled with ice, then add one ounce of triple sec and stir gently. Garnish with a slice of blood orange and enjoy!
How to Make a Blood Orange Margarita
- Fill a glass with ice
- Add the tequila, sweet and sour mix, blood orange juice, and triple sec to the glass
- Stir gently to mix
- Garnish with a slice of blood orange
How to Serve
Like most margaritas, this recipe can be served on the rocks (over ice) or blended with ice for a frozen variation. A blood orange slice makes a nice garnish and the beautiful red hue of the juice adds some eye appeal to the cocktail.
Blood Orange Margarita
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces blood orange juice from two small oranges
- 2 ounces sweet and sour mix
- 1 ounce triple sec
- Add the tequila, blood orange juice, sweet and sour mix and triple sec to an ice filled glass.
- Stir gently.
- Garnish with a slice of a blood orange.