Hot apple cider is a staple drink when the temperatures get chilly. The way the warm and cozy smell fills your home will make you crave this cozy drink. Infused with fragrant oranges, cloves, warm cinnamon, star anise, and a kick of brandy, this crockpot spiced apple cider recipe is hot and so delicious.
Making spiced crockpot apple cider couldn’t be easier. Make a batch ahead of time in your slow cooker and infuse it with spices for the ultimate hot drink. Add brandy or cinnamon whiskey to compliment the tart apple flavor of the cider and this crockpot spiked apple cider recipe is sure to warm you up from the inside out.
- Apple Cider. An unfiltered, unsweetened, non-alcoholic beverage made from apples that is a fall staple. Use a good quality apple cider.
- Whole Spices. Using whole spices instead of ground is the key to infusing the best flavor from the spices.
- Oranges. They add citrus zest and a way to prevent the cloves from floating in the cider.
- Brandy. See below for other liquor options.
How to Make Spiced Apple Cider in The Crockpot
Making spiked apple cider in the crockpot is so easy and will make your house smell amazing. Here is a brief overview of how to do it. For the full measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Slice the oranges. Make small holes in the rinds with a knife and insert the cloves in them so they don’t float in the cider. See the photo below.
- Combine ingredients. Add the cider, oranges, cinnamon sticks, star anise pods(optional), and cloves to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low. Here is where the magic scent fills your whole kitchen.
- Add the booze. Just before serving, add your brandy to the crockpot and stir. See below for other liquor options.
Switch up your liquor by using Fireball whiskey for an extra cinnamon kick or apple brandy for a sweeter flavor instead of regular brandy.
Add your liquor directly to the crockpot just prior to serving or add it to each glass or mug individually to serve both both kids and adults at the same time.
How to Serve
Serve your spiced apple cider in mugs while it is warm. Garnish with extra cinnamon sticks and star anise if desired.
Once the cider is done cooking, turn your crockpot to the “keep warm” setting to keep warm for up to two hours. When reheating, place desired amount in a small saucepan on low heat on the stove or in a microwave-safe mug.
Other Cold Weather Cocktails
There is something special about cozy cocktails when it’s cold outside. Curl up by the fireplace or enjoy the warmth of good company with these delightful indulgences.
Crockpot Spiced Apple Cider
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 2 oranges sliced
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise pods optional
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 2 cups brandy or apple brandy, fireball whiskey
- Slice the oranges.
- Make small holes in the rinds with a knife and insert the cloves in them so they don't float in the cider.
- In a 6 quart slow cooker combine the cider, oranges, cinnamon sticks, star anise pods (optional), and cloves.
- Cook on low for four hours.
- Just before serving add the alcohol.
- Serve and enjoy!