A sweet and creamy delight, this warm and rich Hot Buttered Rum will warm you up from the inside out. When the weather gets cold, nothing warms you up like a cozy mug of a yummy drink.
Just like the name says, it’s hot, buttery, and boozy (hello, rum!). It’s simple to mix one (or two) up at a moment’s notice. Light some candles and turn on some music and embrace the holiday season with each sip.
The smell, as well as the flavor, are irresistible. The old-fashioned cocktail has been around for centuries and is the perfect blend of all things cozy.
Hot Buttered Rum Ingredients
The ingredients for a Hot Buttered Rum are simple and maybe things you already have on hand.
- Dark Rum: First, you will need dark rum. Make sure you find a great dark rum, it is aged longer and has a richer flavor than light rum which is better fitting for a Hot Buttered Rum cocktail. Light rum has a sweeter flavor which is better fitting for cocktails like Bahama Mama and Strawberry Daiquiri.
- Butter: Next, you will need a tablespoon of butter. In our house we tend to keep unsalted butter on hand because it is what we use in all of our cookie and baking recipes. But either will work.
- Brown Sugar: You need a teaspoon of brown sugar. We used light brown sugar, but dark brown sugar will also work.
- Hot Water: Finally, you need 4 ounces of hot water.
How to Make Hot Buttered Rum
- In a mug, combine brown sugar and hot water, stirring until the brown sugar begins to dissolve
- Stir in the rum and float the butter on top
- Garnish with whipped cream (if desired) and a sprinkle of nutmeg
How to Serve
Serve your Hot Buttered Rum immediately while it’s hot in a mug. We love the extra creaminess that the topping of whipped cream adds when it melts into the drink. Finally, a sprinkle of with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg on top.
Other Rum Drinks
Hot Buttered Rum
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 ounces hot water
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a mug, combine the brown sugar and hot water, stirring until the brown sugar begins to dissolve.
- Stir in the rum and float the butter on top. Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg.