Hot Buttered Rum will warm you up from the inside out. It’s an old-fashioned cocktail that is the perfect blend of all things cozy.
Just like the name says, this hot, buttery, and boozy (hello, rum!) cocktail has an irresistible flavor and smell. It is simple to mix one (or two) up at a moment’s notice. Light some candles and turn on some music to embrace the holiday season with each sip.
Hot Buttered Rum Ingredients
The ingredients for a hot buttered rum are simple–you likely already have most of them on hand. Just four ingredients are required for this cozy cocktail.
- Dark rum: This is aged longer and has a richer flavor than light rum. Light rum has a sweeter flavor which is better fit for cocktails like the Bahama Mama and Strawberry Daiquiri.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter will work in this cocktail recipe, so you can use whichever you have in your refrigerator.
- Brown sugar: Gives the cocktail just enough sweetness to balance the other ingredients.
- Hot water: This cocktail is best enjoyed hot. Using hot water will accomplish this as well as melting the butter and dissolving the brown sugar which is necessary for everything to combine well. Do not use boiling water as it may burn the ingredients as well as your mouth.
Best Rum for Hot Buttered Rum
Make sure to grab a dark rum for this hot cocktail recipe. The rich flavor is better suited here than a light rum would provide. Any dark rum that you enjoy the flavor of would be great for this recipe.
How to Make Hot Buttered Rum
This old-fashioned hot butter rum comes together right in your mug in just three simple steps. For the full recipe and ingredient measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- In a mug, combine brown sugar and hot water.
- Stir in the rum and float the butter on top.
- Garnish with whipped cream (if desired) and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
How to Serve
Serve your hot buttered rum immediately while it’s hot in a mug. We love the extra creaminess that the topping of whipped cream adds when it melts into the drink. Finally, garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg and enjoy!
If you try this hot buttered rum recipe or any of our other cocktail recipes, please let us know what you think by leaving a comment!
Hot Buttered Rum
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 ounces hot water
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a mug, combine the brown sugar and hot water, stirring until the brown sugar begins to dissolve.
- Stir in the rum and float the butter on top. Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg.