When you think of vacation drinks, I bet Bahama Mama is near the top of your list along with Pina Colada or Margarita! This fruity rum drink combines tropical flavors of coconut and numerous fruit juices. A splash of coffee liqueur makes this fruity drink a bit more complex, not too sweet, and even more delicious!
There are many recipes and variations of the rum forward Bahama Mama, so you may not be served the same drink at two different places. One of the beauties of making it at home is being able to make it exactly how you like it, every time! While coffee liqueur may seem like an odd addition to this tropical cocktail, it truly does balance the drink providing an earthy depth and harmonizing the sweetness of the other ingredients.
Bahama Mama Recipe
Grab your cocktail shaker and your ingredients and you’ll have yourself a Bahama Mama in no time! This drink is rum forward and employs three different types of rum. You will need an ounce each of dark rum, coconut rum (such as Malibu), and light rum (like Bacardi), about two ounces each of orange juice and pineapple juice, and half an ounce of coffee liqueur (like Kahula). A splash of grenadine is optional to add some color to the cocktail. Prefer more pineapple? Skip the orange juice and add two more ounces of pineapple juice instead.
How to Make a Bahama Mama Drink
- To a cocktail shaker with ice add your light rum, dark rum, coconut rum, juices and coffee liqueur
- Shake vigorously until chilled
- Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice
- Garnish with an orange slice and cherry
How to Serve
Because this drink is so esthetically pleasing, it’s a fun one to serve when hosting or treat yourself to! Top each drink with a slice of an orange and a maraschino cherry. Serve with lots of ice immediately to keep cold. Adding a drink umbrella is optional but highly encouraged for some extra festive flare!
Other Tropical Drinks
- grenadine optional splash for color
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 1 ounce coconut rum ex. Malibu
- 1 ounce white rum ex. Barcardi
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce coffee liqueur optional
- orange slice and cherry for garnish optional
- If you are using grenadine, add it to a glass filled with ice.
- Add the dark rum, coconut rum, white rum, orange juice, pineapple juice and the optional coffee liqueur to a shaker.
- Shake vigoursly.
- Strain over the ice.
- Garnish with an orange slice and cherry.
- Drink and enjoy.