When you think of vacation drinks, I bet Bahama Mama is near the top of your list along with the Pina Colada or Margarita. This fruity rum drink combines the tropical flavors of coconut and numerous fruit juices. A splash of coffee liqueur makes this fruity drink a bit more complex, not too sweet, and even more delicious!
There are many recipes and variations of the rum-forward Bahama Mama, so you may not be served the same drink at two different places. One of the beauties of making it at home is making it exactly how you like it, every time! While coffee liqueur may seem like an odd addition to this tropical cocktail, it truly does balance the drink providing an earthy depth and harmonizing the sweetness of the other ingredients.
What’s in a Bahama Mama
Grab your cocktail shaker and your ingredients and you’ll have yourself Bahama Mamas in no time! This drink is rum-forward and employs three different types of rum that each provide their own nuance of flavor.
- Dark rum. A rum that has been barrel-aged, it is also delicious in this Rum Runner cocktail.
- Coconut rum. Malibu is our go-to coconut rum.
- Light rum. You can use your preferred light rum, ours is Bacardi.
- Orange juice.
- Pineapple juice. If you prefer a stronger pineapple flavor, skip the orange juice and add more pineapple juice.
- Coffee liqueur. An optional but encouraged ingredient to try. Check out our delicious Chocolate White Russian for another cocktail with Kahlua, our coffee liqueur of choice.
- Grenadine (optional). A fruity bar syrup that will add some color to this tropical cocktail.
How to Make a Bahama Mama Drink
Shake up this Bahama Mama drink recipe by following these four simple steps. For full instructions and all of the measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Add the light rum, dark rum, coconut rum, juices, and coffee liqueur to a cocktail shaker of ice.
- Shake vigorously until chilled.
- Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with an orange slice and cherry. Enjoy!
How to Serve
Because this drink is so aesthetically pleasing, it’s a fun one to serve when hosting or to treat yourself to. Top each drink with a slice of orange and a maraschino cherry. Serve immediately over lots of ice to keep it cold. Adding a drink umbrella is optional but highly encouraged for an extra festive flare!
Other Tropical Drinks
These tropical cocktails are perfect when you need some sunshine and a vacation in a glass.
- Grenadine optional splash for color
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 1 ounce coconut rum ex. Malibu
- 1 ounce white rum ex. Bacardi
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce coffee liqueur optional
- Orange slice and cherry for garnish optional
- If you are using grenadine, add it to a glass filled with ice.
- Add the dark rum, coconut rum, white rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, and optional coffee liqueur to a shaker of ice.
- Shake vigoursly.
- Strain over the ice-filled glass.
- Garnish with an orange slice and cherry.
- Drink and enjoy.