Salted Caramel Buttered Rum is the perfect blend of sweet, warm, rich, and boozy. Take your classic Hot Buttered Rum recipe up a notch with a salted caramel twist, perfect for those chilly nights and holiday gatherings.
Grab your favorite mug and your coziest blanket or closest friends and family and you’ll be set up for the ultimate comfort zone. Creamy caramel and kosher salt combine with rich hot buttered rum for a cocktail that tastes and smells delicious.
Hot Buttered Rum Ingredients
These simple hot buttered rum ingredients are elevated with the addition of caramel sauce and a little salt for a salted caramel delight. The ingredients for a hot buttered rum cocktail are:
- Dark Rum. The drink starts with the warm, spicy spirit of dark rum. Make sure you find a great dark rum, it is aged longer and has a richer flavor than light rum.
- Butter. It will melt beautifully when combined with hot water. Salted or unsalted butter will work for this recipe, and you may adjust your salt accordingly later in the recipe depending on how salty your butter is and your taste preference.
- Brown sugar. Adds just enough cozy sweetness.
- Hot water. Use water that is hot but not boiling. This is key for allowing the brown sugar and salt to dissolve without burning and for the ingredients to meld together well. The warmness makes the cocktail more delightful and cozy.
With the addition of your caramel sauce and kosher salt, your salted caramel hot buttered rum is ready for indulging.
How to Make Salted Caramel Buttered Rum
- Place hot water in a mug. Stir in the brown sugar and salt until it is dissolved.
- Stir in the caramel sauce.
- Add the rum and stir.
- Float the butter on top by just setting it on top of the liquid.
Dark Rum vs Light Rum
This recipe specifically calls for dark rum. Dark rum possesses richer flavors of molasses and spice, making it the best option for this cozy beverage. Light rum tends to be sweeter, making it a better fit for drinks like the Bahama Mama and Daiquiri.
How to Serve
Serve your cocktail in a mug to protect your hands from the hot temperature. Serve while it’s hot for the best results. You can top each mug with whipped topping for a creamy addition if desired.
Other Cozy Drink Recipes
- For the tastiest afternoon pick-me-up or treat at the end of the day, make a mug of this Salted Caramel Irish Coffee.
- Make a batch of Mulled Wine to fill your home with a cozy smell and have a beverage ready to serve a crowd.
- A twist on the classic Old Fashioned, this Fall Spiced Old Fashioned is full of smooth spiced flavor and robust bourbon.
- Caramel Apple Sangria is a light and refreshing drink that comes together with minimal time and prep work.
When you try this salted caramel buttered rum or any other Shake Drink Repeat cocktails, leave a comment and share how it was. I love hearing from you!
Salted Caramel Buttered Rum
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ounces hot water
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce warmed up
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a mug, combine the brown sugar, salt, and hot water, stirring until the brown sugar begins to dissolve. Stir in the hot caramel sauce.
- Stir in the rum and add the butter to float on top.