A whiskey Smash is a cocktail even non-whiskey lovers with enjoy! Like a mint julep, the fresh combination of mint and citrus complements the whiskey beautifully in a drink that is light, classy, and just as easy to make as it is to enjoy.
The Whiskey Smash gets its name from the muddling (or smashing) of sour lemon with fresh mint and simple syrup. These unlikely ingredients together create a uniquely thirst-quenching cocktail you’ll want to serve up all summer long.
Whiskey Smash Recipe
For this delectable cocktail you first need good quality bourbon whiskey. It makes all the difference, really! This Orange Whiskey Cocktail and this Manhattan Drink Recipe are also amazing whiskey drinks. Next, gather up some fragrant mint leaves, some for muddling and a few for garnish. Use ripe lemons for the best juice. Mix up a batch of my Simple Syrup (you can use the leftovers in many other cocktails!) You’ll need a muddler (or the end of a wooden spoon does the job nicely). Add the lemon wedges, simple syrup and mint leaves to a mixing glass. Muddle together, add bourbon, and stir. Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice and garnish with fresh mint leaves. Enjoy!
How To Make a Whiskey Smash Cocktail
- In a mixing glass, combine lemon, sugary simple syrup and mint leaves.
- Muddle together or smash with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Add your good quality bourbon whiskey and crushed ice, and give it a good shake.
- Strain into a cocktail glass over crushed ice, and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
- Cheers to a delicious and invigorating cocktail that’s sure to be a hit!
How To Serve
Any small glass tumbler will be suitable to serve a yummy whiskey smash. Serve with plenty of ice to keep the cocktail icy cold. Garnish with fresh mint to add a dash more flavor and color to the cocktail! Tip: gently rub the mint leaves between your fingers before adding to the cocktail to release the oils of the mint, making it more fragrant!
- Strawberry Whiskey Smash – Add three strawberries in step one and then muddle.
- Cherry Whiskey Smash – Add three cherries and 1/2 ounce cherry juice in step one and then muddle.
- Blackberry Bourbon Smash – Add 6-8 blackberries and 1/4 of a lime instead of a lemon in step one and then muddle.
Other Fun Drinks
A whiskey smash is a fresh combination of mint, citrus, and whiskey that is light, classy, and just as easy to make as it is to enjoy!
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- 1/4 of a lemon cut into two wedges
- 3 or 4 fresh mint leaves
Add the lemon wedges, simple syrup, and mint leaves to a mixing glass.
Add Bourbon and ice and stir.
Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice and garnish with mint leaves.