This Chai Old Fashioned recipe is going to be the coziest cocktail you mix up this fall. Made with warm bourbon and homemade chai simple syrup, this delicious cocktail comes together in minutes and will warm your soul with just the right amount of spice.
A spicey twist on the classic Old Fashioned cocktail, you will crave this easy-to-make cocktail as the temperatures drop. The bourbon and chai flavors combine perfectly with a dash of citrus for a cozy sipper. Cooler temperatures make for the perfect time to add a festive twist to cocktail classics, and this recipe is no exception!
- Bourbon. See more on the best bourbon to use below.
- Chai Simple Syrup. You can purchase some or make your own with this recipe.
- Angostura Bitters. This is our preferred choice for bitters in this recipe. See more on another option below.
- Maraschino Cherries
- Orange Slice
- Lemon Lime Soda. 7-Up or Sprite are two common options.
Best Bourbon for Old Fashioned
The best bourbon for this cocktail is a mid-range brand that you like the flavor of. You will want to stay away from cheap bourbon to keep this cocktail delicious! Knob Creek and Four Roses Small Batch are two brands we recommend.
How to Make a Chai Old Fashioned
This fall cocktail is made right in the glass it’s served in, making it easy to make and could delicious to sip on! For full instructions and ingredient measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Add the chai simple syrup, bitters, orange slice, and cherries to a glass.
- Gently muddle the ingredients.
- Add bourbon.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Top with lemon lime soda.
How to Serve
Serve your Chai Old Fashioned in glass tumbler like a rocks glass or old fashioned glass with ice. Garnish with a cinnamon stick. These cocktails taste best if enjoyed cold and immediately after mixing.
Bourbon vs rye whiskey: You can use either spirit in this cozy cocktail, depending on your palate preference. Bourbon will create a sweeter flavor while rye tends to be spicier.
Swap in other bitters: Try adding orange bitters instead of the Angostura bitters for an extra citrus punch.
Try our Wisconsin Brandy Old Fashioned for a Brandy twist with the Badger stamp of approval!
Other Bourbon Cocktails
If you make this Chai Spice Old Fashioned or any of my other fall drink recipes, leave a comment and let me know what you think!
Chai Old Fashioned
- 2 ounce bourbon
- 1 1/2 ounces Chai Simple Syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 maraschino cherries
- 1 orange slice
- Lemon lime soda, 7-Up or Sprite
- Add the Chai Simple Syrup to a small tumbler, a few drops of bitters, orange slice, and 2 cherries.
- Muddle the ingredients.
- Add bourbon to the glass.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Top it with lemon lime soda.
- Drink and enjoy!