This fall spiced old fashioned features bourbon, bitters, nutmeg, and cinnamon, creating a cozy and sophisticated fall drink perfect for those chilly nights. Full of smooth spiced flavor and robust bourbon, this autumn twist will become your favorite way to enjoy an old fashioned.
This spiced old fashioned cocktail will warm you up from the inside out. The classic old fashioned cocktail features bourbon, bitters, and sugar and is garnished with fruit. Take it up a notch with the warming spices of cinnamon and nutmeg and bubbly lemon lime soda that create a cocktail even better than the original.
Best Bourbon for an Old Fashioned
The best bourbon for this old fashioned recipe will be a mid-range spirit that you enjoy the flavor of. Knob Creek or Four Roses Small Batch are good brands.
How to Make a Fall Spiced Old Fashioned
Here is a brief overview of how to make a spiced old fashioned. This drink is made right in the glass it is served in and stirred, not shaken, for the optimal bonding of flavors. For the full measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Add the sugar cube to the glass followed by the bitters.
- Add the cherry and an orange slice.
- Add a splash of lemon-lime soda followed by the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Gently muddle the ingredients to combine.
- Add ice and bourbon, then mix.
- Top up with lemon-lime soda.
- Drink and enjoy!
How to Serve
Serve your fall spiced old fashioned in a rocks glass or glass tumbler with lots of ice. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
- Add a splash of apple cider to top the drink instead of lemon lime soda
- Use rye whiskey instead of bourbon. This is a common swap in an old fashioned and would work well for this recipe if you prefer whiskey to bourbon.
- Try the Wisconsin Brandy Old Fashioned for another variation on the old fashioned that features brandy and the badger state stamp of approval.
Other Fall Cocktails
Fall Spiced Old Fashioned
- Couple dashes of Angostura bitters
- 1 maraschino cherries
- 1 orange slice
- 1 cube sugar cube or 1 tsp sugar
- Lemon lime soda, 7-Up or Sprite
- 2 oz bourbon
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Add the sugar cube to the glass
- Add 4-6 dashes of bitters
- Add the cherry
- Add an orange slice
- Add a splash of the lemon lime soda
- Add the cinnamon and nutmeg
- Muddle the ingredients
- Add ice
- Add bourbon and mix
- Top up with the lemon lime soda
- Drink and enjoy!