Witches Brew is a bright purple cocktail with a fun, fruity flavor. This simple and festive three ingredient cocktail is the perfect potion for your Halloween party.
Made with vodka or rum, orange liqueur, and sweet grenadine, this cocktail is fruity and light. Witches Brew can be made as a single cocktail or served as a punch. Add a touch of dry ice to make your cocktail boil and smoke–the perfect spooky touch!
- White rum. Light or white rum has a sweeter and lighter taste than dark rum and is preferred in this recipe. Vodka would also be a good spirit to use instead of rum if you prefer that spirit.
- Blue Curacao. An orange-flavored liqueur that is blue in color. Starring in many tropical cocktails for both the flavor and ocean-tinted color it offers.
- Grenadine. The cocktail syrup provides a sweet flavor with a red hue that creates the purple color of the finished drink. You could also use Crème de Noyaux, an almond-flavored crème liqueur. Crème de Noyaux is not as powerful of a red as the grenadine, so to make the purple color you will want a little bit more Crème de Noyaux and a little less blue curaçao.
- Dry ice. Optional, but totally worth the theatrics for a festive Halloween party drink! See the safety tips below.
How to Make Witches Brew
- Add your rum, grenadine, and Blue Curacao to a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake well until ingredients are well combined and chilled.
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with Luxardo cherries and a small piece of dry ice if desired.
Make it into a punch
Make a bowl or caldron of Witches Brew to easily serve up for a crowd. Combine 3 cups of rum (or vodka), 3 cups of Blue Curacao, and 1 cup of grenadine with ice, stir to combine. Add the dry ice to the bowl, NOT the glasses. Serve with a ladle.
How to Serve Witches Brew
Serve your Witches Brew cocktail in glasses with a few Luxardo cherries and dry ice. If you choose to garnish with dry ice for the spooky mystical smoke stunt, be careful not to overfill your glass and tell your guests not to drink until the dry ice is gone.
Dry Ice Tips
- Don’t touch the dry ice. Because it is so cold, it can give you frostbite when in contact with your skin. Use tongs to handle dry ice and place it in glasses.
- Don’t drink dry ice. Make sure the dry ice is completely gone before drinking. It will disappear in about five minutes.
- Purchase it just a few hours before using as it will evaporate completely after 18-24 hours
Other Spooky Cocktails
- 3 ounces white rum or vodka
- 1 ounce grenadine or creme de noyaux, see note
- 3 ounces blue curaçao
- Pour all the ingredients into and ice filled shaker.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a glass.
- Garnish and enjoy.
- To make them smoke, be careful not to over fill your glass. Add a small piece of dry ice. DO NOT DRINK UNTIL THE DRY ICE IS COMPLETELY GONE.
Leave A Comment