A Grasshopper Cocktail is the perfect ice cream drink you’ve been looking for. This minty cocktail, made with ice cream, vanilla vodka, Creme de Menthe, it is like dessert in a glass.
The Grasshopper is believed to have come from a small bar owner in New Orleans in the early 1900s. Most often, the grasshopper cocktail recipe is made with green Creme de Menthe and cream and is served as an after dinner drink. You can find that type of grasshopper recipe here.
This grasshopper recipe is a nod to Wisconsin, where we do everything a little richer and with a little more dairy. In this version we are making a grasshopper drink with ice cream, good MidWesterners.
Grasshopper Cocktail Ingredients
You only need four ingredients for this delicious dessert cocktail.
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Vanilla Vodka (see other uses below)
- Creme de Menthe
How to Make a Grasshopper Drink
- Line the glasses with hot fudge sauce. We find that Godiva’s brand is nice and thick and will cling to the sides of your glasses. Set them in the freezer to hold.
- In a blender combine the ice cream, vanilla vodka, Creme de Menthe, and milk.
- Pour the grasshopper drink into the prepared glasses.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles if desired.
How to Serve
The grasshopper drink recipe is most often served in a stemmed glass, such as a martini glass, coup glass, or in this case a wine glass.
We like to garnish the grasshopper with chocolate along the sides of the glass and a little whipped cream on top.
Other Recipes to Use Vanilla Vodka
Believe us when we tell you that it is worth investing in a bottle of vanilla vodka! Here are a few other ways to use it:
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 ounce vanilla vodka
- 1 ounce Creme de Menthe
- 1/2 cup milk
- whipped cream optional
- Add the vanilla ice cream, creme de menthe, vodka and half the milk to the blender.
- Add additonal milk till desired consistency
- Pour into two glasses, garnish if desired with whipped cream and cherries. Enjoy
Pam Kasprzyk says
This would make a great pudding shot!
Nathan Longley says
It would be!
This was a big hit at my fancy Christmas family dinner for our after dinner drink with a Nieman Marcus brownie.
Having a girls party next week and serving it again for a spring after dinner drink. So excited!!
Nathan Longley says
So glad you liked it!! Have fun!