This Mai Tai cocktail recipe is simple and treats your tastebuds to the authentic Mai Tai experience. Fruity and nutty, this tropical rum drink is perfection.
The original Mai Tai recipe originated in the 1940’s in California. Although many of these that are served today have been sweetened up with pineapple and orange juices, we think this original Mai Tai recipe is best. The flavors of rum, citrus, and almond combine for a complex and delicious cocktail experience, perfect for a dinner party or any hot summer day.
Mai Tai Ingredients
Five ingredients combine to create this delicious rum cocktail.
- White rum: A common spirit used in tropical cocktails, Bacardi is our go-to.
- Orange curacao: An orange-flavored liqueur that adds a citrus flavor to this cocktail. If you cannot find orange curacao, substitute Grand Marnier or triple sec.
- Orgeat syrup: A sweet, alcohol-free almond syrup that is a staple in this cocktail. If you cannot find this near you, you can substitute another almond syrup or Amaretto liqueur. Just know that your drink will not be a true Mai Tai without the unique orgeat flavor. If you like the flavor of orgeat syrup, try our Trinidad Sour.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed is always best.
- Dark rum: Yep, this drink contains two types of rum. Dark rum floats on top of the cocktail to finish it off.
How to Make a Mai Tai
This cocktail recipe comes together in just a few simple steps. For the full recipe and all ingredient measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the white rum, orange curacao, orgeat syrup, and lime juice, and shake well.
- Strain into a glass of ice.
- Float the dark rum on top. Garnish and enjoy.
How to Serve
Serve your Mai Tais over ice and garnish with a lime wedge and a cherry. This cocktail tastes best when enjoyed immediately after mixing.
Other Rum Cocktails
If you try this Mai Tai recipe or any of our other cocktails, leave a comment and let us know what you think!
- 1 1/2 ounce white rum
- 1/2 ounce orange curaçao
- 1/2 ounce orgeat syrup
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce dark rum
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Pour the white rum, orange Curaçao, Orgeat syrup, and lime juice into the shaker.
- Shake well.
- Strain into an ice-filled glass.
- Float the dark rum on top.
- Garnish and enjoy!