The Salty Dog is a salty tart cocktail made with grapefruit juice and vodka or gin. It is perfect for margarita lovers.
What Is A Salty Dog
A Salty Dog drink is made with two simple ingredients, the same as the Greyhound Cocktail, but with the addition of salt along the rim of the glass. It is traditionally a gin drink but can be served with vodka.
How To Make A Salty Dog Drink
You need two ingredients and salt.
- Grapefruit Juice – We went with a Ruby Red Grapefruit blend, I would recommend against a 100% grapefruit juice since it will be much less sweet.
- Good Quality Vodka or Gin – the traditional cocktail is made with gin but is also delicious with vodka.
For one drink simply combine the juice and vodka or gin in a shaker with ice, shake and strain into a salt rimmed glass.
How To Serve
We like to serve a Salty Dog with a slice of grapefruit in it. You can choose between a yellow or ruby red, we chose the ruby red for it’s beautiful coloring. You can serve this drink the traditional style straight up (without ice) or with ice.
How To Rim A Glass With Salt
Rimming a glass with salt is straight forward.
- Pour salt onto a small flat plate wide enough for the top of your glass.
- Cut a wedge or slice of the fruit you are garnishing this drink with, in this case grapefruit.
- Take the fruit and cut a slice into it about half an inch deep. Put the fruit with the slice into it on the rim of the glass and follow it around to complete a full circle.
- Now with the rim wet take your glass and dip it into the salt, making sure to fully coat all around the top of your glass.
Other Fun Drinks
- 1 ounce gin or vodka
- 1 1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
- Rim a glass with salt
- Add vodka or gin, grapefruit juice and ice in a shaker.
- Shake and strain into a salt rimmed glass