A golden spin on the classic margarita we all know and love, this Golden Margarita recipe requires only three ingredients and comes together in minutes. Whether you are making one margarita or a pitcher for guests, grab your gold tequila and enjoy!
We love trying new margaritas and this one does not disappoint! It is refreshing and simple–what more could you ask for? The golden margarita features gold tequila. This citrusy cocktail is invigorating and sure to quench your thirst.
Ingredients for Golden Margarita Recipe
Golden margaritas come together with just three ingredients, which all happen to be bar staples making this cocktail quick and easy to whip up at home. Gather the following ingredients:
- Gold tequila: the star of the drink and what sets it apart. See below for the best tequila for this recipe.
- Sweet and sour mix: This homemade mix is easy to make and tastes way better than store-bought mixes that often have extra sugar and additives.
- Triple sec: An orange-flavored liqueur that provides a citrus kick, also used in this Banana Daiquiri.
What Tequila is Best
Since this is a golden margarita, it is important to use a gold, or reposado, tequila. This tequila has vanilla, oak, and caramel flavors. Use a mid-level tequila that you enjoy the flavor of. You could use a silver tequila in this recipe and still yield a tasty cocktail, though the flavor would be different than with gold tequila. As far as other margarita recipes, use whichever tequila you enjoy the flavor of.
How to make a Golden Margarita
- Add your gold tequila, sweet and sour mix, and triple sec to a glass or pitcher.
- Stir well and serve over ice.
- Garnish with a lime and enjoy!
The Key to the Best Margarita
We have found over time that the one thing that is sure to set a margarita apart from the rest is Homemade Sweet and Sour Mix. Sweet and sour mix is basically simple syrup with the addition of fresh lemon and lime juice. It is the best balance of tart and sweet and will make all your guests ask for your margarita recipe.
Sweet and Sour Mix
Recipe for a Pitcher of Margaritas
Making Golden Margaritas for a crowd? This recipe can easily be adapted to make a pitcher of six drinks. Mix ingredients using the measurements below in a pitcher with ice and you are ready to serve!
- 1 1/4 cup gold tequila
- 1 1/4 cup sweet and sour mix
- 1/2 cup triple sec
How to Serve a Golden Margarita
This cocktail is best served in a margarita glass or glass tumbler on the rocks (or over ice) with a salted rim and garnished with a lime wedge. See below for how to salt the rim of a glass.
How to Salt the Rim of a Glass
Prep your glass prior to making your golden margaritas. To salt the rim of your glass, run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass to moisten it. Place a thin layer of salt on a shallow plate and slowly roll the rim of your glass in the salt.
Other Margarita Recipes
- 1 1/2 ounce gold tequila
- 1 1/2 ounce sweet and sour mix
- 3/4 ounce triple sec
- Pour the gold tequila, triple sec and sweet and sour mix over ice and stir gently.