This Sea Breeze cocktail will have you dreaming of sitting on the beach reading a good book. The sweet and sour flavors perfectly balance out the vodka in this easy three ingredient cocktail.
This is such a great recipe! It has the sweetness of the cranberry and sourness of the grapefruit to make the perfect sweet and sour drink.
What’s in a Sea Breeze?
This cocktail is traditionally made with vodka, cranberry juice cocktail and grapefruit juice. It was originally made with gin and grenadine but changed mid 20th century to the drink we know today.
How to Make a Sea Breeze
This sweet and sour drink only has 3 ingredients:
- Good Quality Vodka: See our recommendations below.
- Cranberry Juice: Avoid 100% cranberry juice since it will have no sweetness. Instead, buy a cranberry cocktail will add the sweet flavor.
- Grapefruit Juice
For one drink, simply combine the vodka, cranberry juice, and grapefruit. Mix together, then pour into a tumbler filled with ice and add a lime wedge. Then sit back and enjoy this delicious drink.
We like to double or triple the recipe in a bigger pitcher so there is enough to go around.
What Vodka should I use in this?
Vodka has multiple different levels of quality and price points and it is easy to find something good at each level. At the higher end we like Grey Goose and Belvedere. In the middle we think Tito’s offers a good quality in relation to cost. Then at the low end we really find Smirnoff and Kirkland’s vodka to be pretty good and comparable to high end vodka’s taste wise.
In blind taste tests Kirkland’s French Vodka ranks near the top and is about a third of the cost. Kirkland’s regular vodka also works well in mixed drinks. Really you cannot go wrong with any of these choices and maybe even able to save some money by skipping the high end vodkas when mixing.
Variations on the Sea Breeze
- Hawaiian Sea Breeze – Replace the Grapefruit Juice with Pineapple Juice
- Cape Codder/Vodka Cranberry – Skip Grapefruit Juice
- Salty Dog – Salt the rim and skip the Cranberry Juice
Other summer drinks to try
- Combine the vodka, cranberry juice and the grapefruit juice into a tumbler with ice.
- Stir to combine.