Aloha to the perfect vaca-vibe cocktail! The name gives away this refreshing tropical number, generating a cocktail that is invigorating, fun, and just the right amount of sweet. Turn any ordinary night into a Luau, this drink and its bright blue hue and thirst-quenching flavor will make any occasion feel like a vacation!
The origin of this cocktail is right in the name, Hawaii! Employing both rum and vodka, along with pineapple juice and sweet and sour mix to sweeten the cocktail, the secret ingredient is the blue curacao which gives the drink the ocean blue hue and adds to the citrus notes.
Blue Hawaii Drink Ingredients
The ingredients needed are:
- White rum
- Blue Curacao
- Pineapple Juice
- Sweet and Sour mix ( this homemade recipe is the best and so simple!)
How to Make a Blue Hawaii Drink
- Fill a mixing glass with ice
- Pour white rum, blue curacao, vodka, pineapple juice, and sweet and sour mix into the glass
- Stir until mixed thoroughly
- Strain into a glass filled with ice
- Garnish with a wedge of pineapple and a cherry and enjoy!
How to Serve
Since its a cocktail knows for its refreshing attributes, serving it icy cold and over ice is best. A pineapple wedge and cherry make the perfect garnish and add to the eye appeal of the cocktail, pairing perfecting with the aquamarine shade.
Blue Hawaii vs. Blue Hawaiian
While the names and colors of the drinks are quite similar, the difference between a Blue Hawaii and a Blue Hawaiian lies in the ingredients. The Blue Hawaii uses sweet and sour mix and the combination of rum and vodka, while the blue Hawaiian employs crème de coconut and only rum as the base spirit. To make a Blue Hawaiin, simply skip the vodka and double the rum, then add 3/4 oz creme de coconut, 3/4 oz blue curacao, and 2 oz pineapple juice, stir well and strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice.
Other Tropical Drinks
If you make this Blue Hawaii recipe leave us a comment and let us know what you think.
- 1 ounce white rum
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1/2 ounce blue curaçao
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 ounce sweet and sour mix
- 3/4 cup white rum
- 3/4 cup vodka
- 3/8 cup blue curaçao
- 2 1/4 cups pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup sweet and sour mix
- Pour ice, white rum, blue curaçao, vodka, pineapple juice and sweet and sour mix into a mixing glass.
- Strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with pineapple and a cherry, enjoy.